4-H Gift Certificates: (Giving the Gift of Self for the Holidays)
Club Activity: 4-H Gift Certificates (pdf below)
Purpose: To teach youth that they have many skills and talents that they can gift to their parents, siblings, teachers, and neighbors.
Materials: Copies of blank gift certificates printed on cardstock. Pen.
We don’t need money to give. The holidays are a terrific time to teach youth that giving of themselves is a powerful feeling. Find a new and different way to make the season more meaningful for children. Instead of receiving gifts, children can give the gift of their time and talents.
Suggestions for giving and serving:
• Spend the afternoon reading to an elder.
• Clean up the living room.
• Feed and water the animals.
• Take a walk with someone who needs assistance.
• Collect neighbor’s garbage containers from the road.
• Help someone decorate for the holidays.
• Make your bed without being told.
• Play a board game with a younger family member.
• Learn how to make a special recipe and prepare it for your family.
• Help your teacher pick up the classroom.
“It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled ’till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”